- What Are Your Hours?
Our teaching hours are 1pm to 10pm every day but Saturday and Sunday.
- Why Train at AKMA or What Makes You Different?
Great question. We specialize in teaching adults in a secure and private setting. This means you go at your own pace. You will learn much faster than you ever could in a group. And you won't be limited by what others can't do. In other words, you will have a great understanding of what you are learning. Since you are being taught privately, you have a personal instructor to help you over minor or major hurtles, and keep you motivated along the way.You will never be just a face in the crowd. Your instructor will book your lessons around your schedule and design a personal training program around your wants and needs.
- So What Makes Us Different?
- Private instructions.
- Open training hall every day. This means you can come down and work out anytime you want to. You can train five days a week if you want.
- Unique style that hasn't been changed to suit the mass market and the latest flavor of the month. A style that includes mental as well as physical training. Whether it's fitness you're looking for or stress reduction, Kung-Fu is a style that literally can do it all.
- Personalized training programs designed just for you and your strengths and weakness in mind.
- Accelerated learning time. Since you learn one-on-one you learning will be up to 15 to 20 times faster than what you could do in a group.
- Full time staff. You get a teacher whose only job is to teach you martial arts and keep you motivated.
- Safe environment to learn. Since we screen all members, you can be assured that you will be working with people who have passed a screening process and won't be training just to learn to hurt someone.
- No public viewing of your lessons. We do NOT allow public viewing of your lessons. When we say private, we mean private.
- Better understanding of the art. Try asking a question in a group class. If a class has 30 people in it and it takes 1 minute to answer 1 question, that's half an hour if everyone only had one simple question. That equals NO TRAINING TIME.
- Programs just for you - Have a bum knee? Can't do flying kicks? No problem! You still can be successful here.
- Budget programs. Have a tight budget right now? We have several budget plans as well as convenient monthly payment plans.
- Great staff. I mean we have some of the GREATEST people teaching here. Every single one of them has dedicated their lives to teaching. They have sacrificed heavily to become not only great kung-fu practitioners, but great teachers as well.
- How Often Can I, or Should I Train?
Well, here you can train 5 days a week, but the real answer is it is up to you. The more you put in the more you get out. (We require at least one time each week).
- What style do you train? (This is asked in a lot of different ways)
With over 200 different forms of Kung-Fu out there, as well as all the false history, this is a very complex question. If I just gave you the name of the style, what would that mean? Or should I tell you whether it is Northern or Southern, External or Internal?
Ok, here I go, this is a very simple explanation:
We have one of three recognized Grand Masters and the only one to be teaching this system outside of China. Since it takes up to 50 years to become a Grand Master you can see why there are very few of them. Our Grand Master teaches a combination of both Northern and Southern Kung-Fu Styles. We learn the Shaolin-Ssu system which has the Moh Kempo as its base. Then we graduate into the White Tiger Style "Pai-Hu-Shih" (Grand Master Simon is the founder) which encompasses all five animals as well as the Shaolin long arm, weapons, and Chi development through meditation and breathing. Uniting the mind with the body to secure a piece of mind and a healthy body through proper training is our mane goal.
The Art is developed in stages from Beginner to Advanced. So it's important to get a strong foundation if you want to master this art.
Basically, it is the old Shaolin System consisting of the 5 Animals; Dragon, Tiger, Crane, Snake and Leopard.
- How much does it cost to train at Kung-Fu?
Since we design the program around the individual, the cost will be based on what you want to get out of the art, how fast you learn, how often you want to come down, and what program or programs you decide to participate in. We offer everyone a free, no-obligation interview, where we explain all your different options and whether we are the right place for you or not. It usually takes 30 minutes and is by appointment only.
- Will I Get Hurt?
Not if you practice right. And since we do not do tournaments and we screen our members, you will find it's a very safe and fun learning environment for everyone involved.
- Do I have to do tournaments?
No. We do not do tournaments at all. Most of the moves do not lend themselves to sport competition. We feel that our students would lose the benefits of this ancient art if we were to change it and make it sports oriented. After all, 1500 years ago in the temples, they didn't do tournaments, so if it's good enough for the inventors of this Art, it is definitely good enough for us.
- Will I be in a big embarrassing class with children?
No. We teach privately, and we do not mix kids with adults. We have a very strict procedure in how we teach and get you this art. Working with someone that is 8 years old or even 15 is totally counter productive to becoming a true artist. When you work with other students you will work with all adults and in a group of students learning the same thing you are.
- Will I learn to defend my self?
This is an art form that was practiced in the ancient temples of China. It was designed for longevity, in which part of that is self defense. But there is so much more to this art that we look at the self defense aspect as just a nice by-product. However, this is a martial art, so you will be learning how to use it in hostile situations. We just like to keep it in a respectful atmosphere.
- Do you teach meditation and breathing exercises?
Yes. We feel that the most benefit will come from your training by incorporating the mind AND the body. We have ancient forms of breathing and meditation techniques that were used in the temples to produce healthy minds and strong bodies. It's not a requirement, but for the students who practice these exercises they see tremendous benefits.
- Do I have to break boards and bricks?
No. Breaking has no place in learning to use your skills. It looks good in demos and to show the power of your art, but other than that, it's a pretty limiting skill. No students are required to ever break a brick to progress in our art.
- Do you have belt test fees?
Absolutely not! We strongly disagree with this practice. We find it can rob the student of his confidence and make him believe he just bought the belt. You must test for the belt but if you pass you have already earned that belt, so having to pay for it again is ridiculous.
- How do I join?
Well, first you need to call one of the studios that are closest to your home (call 425-881-1550 to get the closest one) and set up a personal interview with the Chief Instructor (this is of course free). Next, discuss with him all your training goals. He will show you all the different programs that you might qualify for and answer any questions you may have.
Then, before you commit, take a trial program to make sure that we are a good fit. You see, we can't train everyone, so we don't try. You and Kung-Fu have to feel right together, or it won't work out in the long run.
If you get through the trial program and enjoy it, and if you are accepted by Kung-Fu, then you and your personal instructor can design a program based on your time and what you want to get out of the art.
For more information, or to book an interview please call 425-881-1550 and ask for the closest school for you. Or you can email me direct at email@example.com and we will get right back to you.